Wednesday, April 18

The Bluecoat

Hey party peeps!
Here are a few photos of an exhibition I went to recently at The Bluecoat Gallery.











I particularly enjoyed the first part of the exhibition. I really liked the animal masks made out of such an array of materials - I think I just respond to lots of colours and textures happening at the same time (hence why I've taken a lot of photos!)
This small exhibition was organised by Wendell McShine - the Artist in Residence at the Bluecoat (unfortunately his residency has now ended). McShine worked with learning disabled adults (from the Bluecoat's Blue Room Project) and young people from Norris Green (from a project called The Pad, which encourages young people to get creative) to create animal masks and scenes from Liverpool and produce a stop-motion animation out of all their hard work.

“I’ve created the Art Connect project rooted in the philosophy that investment in education, art and humanities is vital for the upliftment and development of any society...My mission is to equip young people with new found skills and information that they can apply to enrich their lives and impact their communities.” - Wendell McShine (quote taken from Liverpool Daily Post Website)



The other exhibition currently hosted at the Bluecoat is 'Topophobia' (on until the 22nd April), now I'm afraid I can't remember everything I saw there, but artists of note were -

Polly Gould - who created these beautiful glass sculptures that sit alongside her subtle watercolours to create ethereal landscapes that reference Antarctica:

and Anne Eggebert - who created large scale sketches of an aerial view of where her father used to live before he passed away; which coincide with sketches of flowers that are found in that area - I felt it was subtly poignant. Large scale photos of Eggebert's also feature - showing the artist in a number of modern situations but dressed in what her ancestors would have worn. I think this was to illustrate how old cultures/traditions are beginning to vanish in this quickly developing modern age, asking the question - Will we forget our past, and therefore what makes us individuals?


Anyhoos, there we go! There were many other artists exhibiting at the Bluecoat, and I would say its definitely worth a gander if you're passing by some time!
Heres some websites for you to visit:

The Bluecoat
Wendell McShine
Polly Gould
Anne Eggebert



No comments:

Post a Comment