Thursday, August 16

Off Life - Inking and Painting



Just tried out a couple of techniques to apply the ink to my Off Life comic. In the left hand one of the first picture I used acrylic paint to make my lines, attempting the style of Simone Lia. I found it pretty tough and kept getting rough edges - while Lia is so much smoooother with her painting skills! I felt the style didn't quite work with my comic (wanted the lines to be a lot thinner!), but I quite liked experimenting with it, so I will be having a tinker with it more in the future. Simone Lia is a pretty famous and coolio illustrator, she made the adorable graphic novel called 'Fluffy', which is how I stumbled upon her (and Tom Gauld's) work!

Anyhoos, here is the inking style I ended up with...(just a thinner fine liner really...)


I then painted all the watercolour parts of the comic on seperate sheets of paper (in fear of spoiling the original inked one) and am now hoping to merge the two together through my magic computer box!





The watercolours don't make much sense now, but hopefully once merged it'll all be ok!
I enjoyed my little stint of watercolours, it was very therapeutic!

So thar we go! Hopefully in the next few days I will posting up a completed comic! My first (proper) one ever! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment