Friday, December 14

Play

A couple of weeks ago, I went down to Nottingham to see a wee exhibition curated by my friends Jennifer Ross and Clare Harris (aka. The Cutting Room)
The exhibition is called 'Play' and features a selection of artists that explore humour in their work! The exhibition is on from 30th November - 25th Janaury, so you've got plenty of time after your Christmas break to go see it!
So without further ao, here are my pictures of the night! (And apologies for any blurriness!)




This piece was quite fun, entitled 'MWAHAHA', artists Thomas Hall and Graham Elstone created an evil throne with an evil red button which wreaks havoc on the world when pressed! Watch the TV as people in restaurants are turned into gummi bears, gnomes, or blasted away all together! I very much enjoyed sitting in a high-backed chair, I truly felt rather evil and extravagant - I will need to get me one of those for my house!


The remainder of the exhibition showcases many artist's films exploring various aspects of humour. There were quite a few animated pieces, which of course I loved, and its also quite interesting to note that when we look at humour in art, cartoons are a large aspect to it - which is awesome! Here are a few of the pieces I particularly liked:






Slim Picking Fat Chances, created by David de Rooij & Jelle Brunt.


Falling for You by Khali & Potsch Boyd.


Mr Reapers Really Bad Morning by Kevin D.A. Kurytnik & Carol Beecher.

And there were a whole bunch of others there that I ain't even mentioning! I've never been the Nottingham Playhouse before, but it was pretty suave and they have loads of different events on!

I very much enjoyed the opening evening, plus I got recorded/filmed by some very nice people and I even got a chocolate button for my trouble!


And to round the evening off, we all went to an Indian restaurant for tea, where I ordered the largest Biriyani I've seen in my life (although Jen informs me the day after that she ordered extra rice for my dish!) PLUS it had a boiled egg in it! Wowzer!


Unfortunately, due to the rather large amount of wine I had consumed at this point I was unable to eat barely a quarter of it! Oh wello!

So there we go! That was my little trip to Nottingham! I fully recommend going to see 'Play', I found it very interesting and I can now add a few more artists to my 'Like' list! Wa-hey!

No comments:

Post a Comment