Monday, June 24

Beyond the Page

Its time for me to slop some words together to form a confused rambley sludge about another booky wook I got for Christmas! Hooray! This is the last one, 'Beyond the Page' by Quentin Blake.



Yup. I really like Quentin Blake. Hes awesome. I wish I could draw and paint like him - he has a lovely fluid way of working and I wish that my own illustrations could have a bit of that flair! My work appears very planned and methodic in comparison to his spontaneous and playful style!
So yes, having a gigantic book of various bits and bobs of his work (its a rather large hard bound volume), packed with lots of full-page illustration spreads is a ticket to Drool Town for me (and should be for others!)


The main point of this book is to explore Blake's work beyond that of book illustration - such as public installation pieces (big old wall stickers and the like); but it also features sketches and book illustrations which you may not be as familiar with - which is good!



Blake's writing style is leisurely and down to earth, making this book an enjoyable read.






The 3 images above were some of my favourite illustrations made to adorn two public buildings - one being for some walls in the maternity wards of several hospitals; and the other being used to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the University of Cambridge.



I know I haven't really described/said much about this book, but I find I can't really say more than Quentin Blake is awesome! And this book is pretty darn good and well worth a look at!

(My apologies at the lack of waffle. Hopefully in my next blog post I will be able to articulate myself a bit better! Perhaps the power of Blake's work makes my brain go fuzzy?)

No comments:

Post a Comment