Tuesday, June 4

Making Great Illustration book

Hey ho! I've gotten round to reading a couple of books bought for me last Christmas, so lets start off with this bad boy! 'Making Great Illustration' by Derek Brazell & Jo Davies.


Making Great Illustration looks at a large scope of illustrators working in their respective fields. Fields discussed within this book range from editorial & typographical illustration to children's publishing & graphic literature, as well as many others. I discovered a lot of illustrators in this book - some I liked, some I wasn't so keen on (there weren't many of them)! I personally really enjoyed the work of illustrators Yuko Shimizu, Jeff Fisher, Oliver Kugler, and Kitty Crowther to name a few! The book also covers the more familiar names of Quentin Blake, Oliver Jeffers, David Downton and Catalina Estrada.



Each illustrator's segment is written in a blend of career descriptions mixed with some of the illustrator's own words. I personally found the writing to be a bit flowery in places - what I mean is that there were some parts in which overly complicated words were used which made some paragraphs sound pretentious - which I found to be alienating in places. I'm a down-to-earth girl, I like my writing to make sense and not be peppered with over the top phrases that I barely grasp the meaning of. Although I should say that most of the writing in this book is nicely done - theres just a few moments in which I scratched my noggin (so maybe this is just pointing out the gaps in my vocabulary)! :S
Anyhoos, each illustrator is favoured with lovely large images of their work and we even get a glimpse of their studios!



All in all, a good book! It allowed a glimpse into the lives of known and unknown illustrators, how they work, and how they themselves tackle client briefs! I was pleasantly surprised by some illustrators whom I knew little about, finding that I really liked their work ethics and therefore enjoyed their work! So I would recommend this book, but if you're a bit of a yokel like me, you might need a dictionary handy in a few places!

No comments:

Post a Comment