Tuesday, June 11

English Infographics

Phew, this blog post has been a long time coming! A few months ago, I worked (alongside other members of the groovy Splinter team) on a rather challenging project. We were to create a batch of infographics for the BBC Bitesize GCSE English webpages. It was pretty interesting to work on, but pretty tough too as we had to work to a very specific style guide provided to us by the BBC (this detailed the size images could be, colour palettes, etc). Needless to say, this project was a massive learning curve for me - in more ways than one!

Here is one example of an infographic I made to accompany a webpage on 'Frankenstein'. I was to depict Victor Frankenstein digging up body parts in a moonlit graveyard, which he was to use in his gory experiments back in the laboratory! The following are several versions of the one image - showing just how much things can change whilst going through the amendment stages.

As you can see, the last image is rather different from the first! Amendments were made to the colours, costume, image size, etc! It was interesting to see the image morph over time - I think as the illustrator sometimes you can't see past your original piece, so I like receiving feedback/suggestions from others that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

I also worked on some pieces for 'Jekyll and Hyde':

And a little shot of a work in progress:

I enjoyed making an evil face in this particular style! (Plus I really like books set in the 1800s, the fashion back then was just oh so suave)!

And here are a few others that I worked on - with a lot of help from my colleagues!


So there we go, theres a glimpse at what was occupying me in work over crimbo and new year! I think in my next blog post I'll be having a waffle about Quentin Blake and his book 'Beyond the Page', woo! Time for a drink!

Oooh! Also, I've put this project up on my website if you would like to look at some stuff on there too! English Infographics on the Nafftastic website!

No comments:

Post a Comment