Thursday, March 31

Pineapple/Malibu & Creme Egg Cupcakes

I recently had a quick visit to Llanberis in North Wales, where I came across the Snowdon Honey Farm and Winery. It was an old little shop filled to the brim with all sorts of honey, but also jams, chutneys and curds. And thats were I discovered a jar of Pineapple Curd with Malibu, so I bought it!
I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with it (not being a curd-on-toast kind of gal) until I decided to pair it with another recent find (in the humble Tescos) of, Bounty spread (which is delicious - try it on a chocolate digestive, its like eating a deconstructed Bounty bar - with a biscuit)!


So I decided to make vanilla cupcakes, using a large amount of Bounty spread to form part of the buttercream frosting (sprinkled with desiccated coconut). And then I filled each cupcake with a glob of Pineapple with Malibu curd! I was pretty chuffed with the results - and I got the thumbs up from my testers!


I used an apple peeler to core out a hole in each cupcake (I've kept the cake remnants and froze them as I read you can add them to a trifle or milkshakes), and piped the curd into the hole (rather than attempting smushing it in with a spoon)! All in all, a success! Hooray!

And as it was Easter last weekend, I made some Creme Egg Cupcakes for my family!


A mini Creme Egg was hidden in each cupcake and it was my first attempt at doing a two-toned frosting, which worked pretty well apart from not making enough! (You make your buttercream, separate them out and colour them as you wish, you then put each colour in a separate piping bag and pipe each colour into ANOTHER piping bag, you then have your two-toned frosting to top whatever cake you desire)!

So its been a very cupcake-y couple of weeks, on to pastures new this week with Ice Cream Sandwiches! Whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment